Small World Initiative's® High School Member Benefits
Members receive and have access to regularly updated materials that maintain a standard of excellence for teaching SWI's introductory biology course. The volumes are currently in their 4th edition.
- Student Guide to Microbial and Chemical Diversity
- Research Protocols
- Instructor Guide & Training Binder
Training, Advice, and Assistance
- Instructor Training Workshop
- Immediate access to feedback and troubleshooting from experts
- Mentor pairing
- Answers to FAQs
Access to Online Resources & Databases
- Online databases - Our online soil sample database provides the ability for students and faculty to input research data and download all data for aggregate research.
- Instructor portal, including
- Teaching resources, including slides for lectures and handouts
- Extensive biosafety resources
- Troubleshooting guides
- Supply requirements and recommendations
- Pedagogical resources
- Instructor training handouts and presentations
- Responsible conduct in research ethics materials
- Lab notebook rubric and guidelines
- Research resources
- Website, Blog
Continuously expanding pipeline of opportunities for students to present research, attend conferences and events, publish, receive recognition, be mentored, and apply for internships, fellowships, and jobs. Key annual opportunities include our symposium, student challenge, and awards.
- Small World Initiative's Annual Do Something About Antibiotics Challenge (partners: CDC, NIH)
- Student Opportunities Portal
- Opportunity to Present Research at SWI Poster Session at ASM Microbe - Our symposium brings together faculty and students from SWI’s global community as well as experts in microbiology to share research and collaborate. It also exposes students to the many career and research paths in the sciences.
- Meme Contest
- Student Awards (including for persistence, best-in-session poster, scientific discovery, leadership)
- Continuously expanding pipeline of opportunities for faculty to receive recognition, publish, speak, lead, and collaborate with others.
- Faculty Opportunities Portal
- Faculty Awards (including for excellence in mentorship, pedagogical innovation, scientific discovery)
- Eligibility to participate in group research
- Opportunity to speak at SWI Faculty Tapas Talk Session at ASM Microbe
- Mentoring for New Faculty
- Travel Grants to ASM Microbe
- Committee Opportunities (e.g., Publishing, Science, Training, Symposium, Social Media/PR)
Evaluation Tools to Measure Student Impact
We provide instructors with the opportunity to participate in our evaluation research to measure the program's impact on students. Instruments include pre- and post-course surveys that take approximately 10 minutes for students to complete. Participating instructors are provided with access to de-identified data and are invited to participate in group publications.
- Instruments provided through Qualtrics to measure the program's impact on students
- Assistance with any necessary requirements, including Institutional Review Board or Head of School approval and consent letters
- Safe relatives of the ESKAPE pathogens
- Negotiated pricing for PCR sequencing
- Negotiated arrangements for reduced pricing for certain laboratory equipment, disposable supplies, and testing
- Monthly announcements
- Impact report
Projected Additional Benefits on the Horizon
- Additional modules and follow-on courses
- Partnerships to store and provide additional testing of samples
- New features for the online soil sample database
- Ability to participate in projects coming down the pipeline (e.g., iChip pilot)
*The Small World Initiative is a registered 501(c)(3) public charity. Employer Identification Number / Tax ID: 81-1772308.